My mother and I don’t really see eye to eye on what a grandmother’s duties should be. I spoke my peace with her and I need to move on. However, I will keep track of what I wish I had so when P has children I can be more supportive. I know we quickly forget the trials of parenthood because if we remembered them clearly I don’t think anyone would procreate and definitely not more than once.
So, here we go with my “Guide to being a Good Grandmother”.
- Shut up. Don’t question or argue just do what they ask, even if I think it’s wrong. Only give advice when what they’ve asked for isn’t working or if they ask for it.
- Don’t take away baby time. Be supportive by doing cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc. so mamma can focus on baby.
- Make my own home baby proof. Very, very important.
- Have all the necesities of parenthood in my own home: cribs, changing spots, high chairs, booster seats, toilet training seat, dishes, utensils, cups.
- Have age appropriate toys and videos on hand in my own home.
- If you know baby’s favorite foods or snacks, have them on hand as well.
- Without being asked offer to babysit so parents or mom can have time alone.