I’ve delayed to update the potty saga because quite frankly I feel like a failure in this department. I think I could have waited a few more months and maybe the execution would have been stellar. I see P’s development with the process. She’s mastering the entire process, from pants down to wiping on her own much better. I see how a few more months could have helped.
- It’s all in what I say. I stopped asking: “do you have to go potty”. Instead, I say: “will you tell me when you have to go potty?”. The former gets me a “NOOOO, NO, NO!”. The latter a “Yes!”.
- Lead by example. When in stores, or when we’re about to leave the house I ask her to join me in the bathroom so I can go potty. She’ll also go if she has to.
- She wants control. She’s got FULL control. When she says “potty”, I say “P do, P do”. Which means she goes to the toilet herself. I don’t carry her there anymore. She pulls down her pants, she gets on the toilet. I help wipe but she puts on her pants. It’s all HER process.
- Establish routine. I sing a song about wake up, then sit on pot! It helps to get her to the potty.
- Lots of praise for success. No reaction when she misses.